Nothing says Southern quite like Strawberry Shortcake and we have a simple recipe for you to make it for your family. Whether you are eating it after a Sunday brunch or looking for something to share on a hot Summer afternoon, Strawberry Shortcake is scrumptious. Berries burst with the flavor of a sunny Summer’s day and these biscuits, made from scratch, are as fast as a mix. Add fresh berries to give a boost of fiber. Delicious nonfat yogurt replace heavy whipped cream. A good source of vitamin C.
This recipe serves 8 people.
Ingredients for the Shortcakes
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup skim milk
Ingredients for the Strawberry Filling
- 2 pints of fresh strawberries, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Nonfat vanilla yougurt, whipped cream, or mint leaves for garnish (optional)
Directions for making Southern Style Strawberry Shortcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degree. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Stir in the orange peel. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Quickly stir in the milk until a soft dough forms.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits. Gather trimmings, re-roll, and cut out more biscuits.
4. Place biscuits on a prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Place biscuits on a wire rack and cool slightly.
5. Split warm biscuits in half horizontally. Place the bottom halves on serving plates. Top each with some filling. Cover with biscuit tops. Serve with remaining filling and garnish with yogurt and mint or whipped cream.