Chicken Fried Steak is an easy Southern recipe to make. Pour the Cream Gravy over top your chicken fried steak and serve with mashed potatoes for a fabulous Southern Style dinner. Here’s how.
- 2 pkg. cube or round steak
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups vegetable oil
Directions for Making Chicken Fried Steak:
1. Add a half cup of vegetable oil to a heavy skillet and let warm up on medium heat.
2. Pound each steak piece with a mallet on the counter until very thin.
3. Put milk in a shallow dish and place one or two steaks in with the milk.
4. Mix the flour, salt and pepper in another shallow dish.
5. Remove the steak from the milk and dredge into flour mixture, coating both sides.
6. Place a steak, one at a time, into the skillet and brown on medium heat on both sides.
Cream Gravy Recipe:
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup Steak drippings
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cream Gravy Directions:
1. Use another skillet of the same one that has been cleaned and put in on a medium heat burner until it is warmed up.
2. Add he steak drippings, flour, salt and pepper.
3. Stir with wire whisk until blended.
4. Add 2 cups milk to the mixture and continue to stir until gravy thickens.